As an added extra to send home with my parents I thought I’d make something to counter the rich chocolate in the brownies and I remembered this raspberry meringue square recipe that I made for a bake sale earlier this year which was very popular. I bought some lemon curd recently and thought that would be a nice combination, sweet meringue and tart lemon. Check out the pictures and recipe below.
Crispy Top Squares from The Little Big Cookies Book by McRae Books
2/3 cup/ 100g plain flour
1/2 cup/ 75g icing sugar
1/8 tsp salt
6 tbsp butter, softened
1 large egg & 2 large egg whites
2/3 cup raspberry preserves (or preserve/ jam or curd of your choice)
1/2 cup/ 100g caster sugar
– Preheat oven to 350F/ 190C/ Gas Mark 5. Butter a 10 inch square baking tin. Sift the flour, icing sugar & salt into mixing bowl.
– With the mixer at medium speed beat in the butter and whole egg until well blended. Press the mixture into the tin to form a smooth, even layer. Bake for 10 minutes.
– Reduce the oven temperature to 300F/ 150C/ gas mark 2
– Warm the preserves in a small saucepan over a low heat. Alternatively use the curd directly from the jar. Spread over the base. With the mixer at medium speed beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. With the mixer at high speed, gradually add the caster sugar, beating until stiff, glossy peaks form.
– Spread the meringue on top of the preserves. Bake for 20 – 25 minutes, or until the meringue is lightly browned. Cool in the pan for 15 minutes, cut into squares and let cool.
While these were a lovely combination of bitter lemon and sweet soft & crunchy meringue I would prefer a slightly stronger lemon flavour. This time I used shop bought curd which I think didn’t have a very powerful lemon taste so next time I might attempt to make my own curd to give these that extra bitter lemon punch.